THE DEPARTMENT: Our Department approaches kinesiology from life-sciences, cognitive-behavioral sciences, and humanities perspectives with a strong emphasis on social justice and inclusion. We offer bachelor’s and master’s in Science degrees and have a Physical Education Single Subject waiver option. We are a vibrant department currently serving over 800 Majors. Our Department prides itself on its campus-wide recognition of our student-centered approach to teaching, engagement in community service, and scholarly activity. Our Program also boasts a highly diverse student body. We take a cross-disciplinary approach to the field of kinesiology and thus require a broad core for all students. Our Kinesiology Laboratory is a teaching/research laboratory space including equipment for exercise physiology, biomechanics, exercise testing and prescription, and motor learning/sport psychology laboratories.
DUTIES OF THE POSITION:
We are seeking an energetic and collaborative individual to join our team to complement and strengthen existing expertise and experience. Specific duties of the position include:
(1) Teach courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the areas of biomechanics and musculoskeletal anatomy.
(2) Additional teaching assignments may include exercise and wellness, exercise testing and prescription, and/or motor learning and control.
(3) Engage in an active line of scholarship relevant to professional expertise.
In addition to teaching, all faculty have expectations for scholarship, advising responsibilities, departmental administrative and/or committee work, campus-wide committee responsibilities, and service to the community. The majority of our courses are offered in a face-to-face format, but some hybrid and online course offerings exist.Please note that teaching assignments at California State University, East Bay include courses at the Hayward, Concord and Online campuses.
RANK AND SALARY: Assistant Professor. Salary is dependent upon educational preparation and experience. Subject to budgetary authorization.
(1) An earned doctorate in doctorate in kinesiology or closely related field. Applicants who are ABD will be considered, but a successful ABD candidate must complete all requirements for the doctorate by the effective date of the appointment.
(2) Expertise, specialized preparation, and the ability to teach in one or more of the following areas: biomechanics and musculoskeletal anatomy.
(3) Ability to teach in areas of exercise and wellness, exercise testing and prescription, and/or motor learning and control preferred.
(4) Demonstrated knowledge and awareness of professional developments related to areas of expertise and field of kinesiology.
(5) Appreciation of a cross-disciplinary approach to kinesiology.
(6) Potential to be a successful teacher at the university level; a record of successful teaching at the university level preferred.
(7) Potential to be a productive scholar; a record of scholarly achievement preferred.
(8) Experience supervising undergraduate and graduate students preferred.
(9) Experience in grant writing and obtaining external funding preferred.
(10) Experience in working with students from multi-cultural backgrounds and a commitment to excellence in student engagement, mentoring and student success preferred.
Candidates should demonstrate experience in teaching, mentoring, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. Additionally, applicants must demonstrate a record of scholarly activity. This University is fully committed to the rights of students, staff and faculty with disabilities in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. For more information about the University’s program supporting the rights of our students with disabilities see: http://www20.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/as/
Apply through Interfolio: http://apply.interfolio.com/63485
Additional Salary Information: Assistant Professor. Salary is dependent upon educational preparation and experience.
Internal Number: PS#00006251
About California State University, East Bay
THE UNIVERSITY: California State University, East Bay (CSUEB) is a comprehensive university serving the San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley. It is known for award-winning programs, expert instruction, its diverse student body, and a choice of more than 100 career-focused fields of study. With an enrollment of approximately 15,000 students and 900 faculty, CSUEB is organized into four colleges. The University offers bachelor’s degrees in 49 fields, minors in 52 fields, master’s degrees in 34 fields, 16 credentials programs, 18 certificate options, and 1 doctoral degree program. http://www20.csueastbay.edu/
California State University East Bay has a mission to support a diverse student body through academically rich and culturally relevant learning experiences. The successful candidate will bring with them expertise or an openness to creating a welcoming and supportive environment for all students.